How To Maximize Space When Living In A Small Home - Junk Removal Murfreesboro
Small and tiny homes, skoolies, and even converted vans are becoming popular for housing. What all of these have in common are that all are small and require you to maximize your living space. For this article, we have found the best ways to maximize your small home and share them here with you.
Large and small homes can both become overwhelmed with property we own if we do not control what we need to discard properly.
The good news is that if you live in a small or tiny home, it forces you to have a plan and implement it. Larger homes are more troublesome as you continue to think you have plenty of storage space until it is too late. However, homes of any size become crowded when we accrue items we do not need, which brings us to our first step.
Get Rid of Unneeded Property
If you do nothing else at least make a plan to decide if you truly need the objects in your home. The plan should be simple and ask a single question. Have I used this item in the last three years? If not, there is little doubt that you need the article of property in question. There are some exceptions, like if you have a special tool that you need to change bearings on your car every four years. You can probably keep that, for instance. Outside of something specific, though, it is time to get rid of all of the other junk.
Here are a few ways to get rid of the property without thinking of it as being wasted.
- Have a garage sale. With a garage sale, you can accomplish getting rid of unneeded items and make some money too.
- Ask friends and family if they can use it
- Donate the property to a non-profit
- Have a junk removal company take it off your hands and recycle it. They will even bring you a dumpster for rent to place all of your unwanted items in and haul it away for you.
Now that we have that out of the way let’s discuss how to maximize our small homes space.
Use Multifunctional Furniture
One of the tiny home community movements has been the usage of furniture that also doubles as a place for storage. Even if you don’t live in a per se tiny home, you can use the same idea to give you more space in your smaller home. Here are some examples.
1. Benches and beds that can be lifted and boxed in on the bottom can be utilized for storage underneath. It is incredible how much room you have in some of these dead spaces in your home. By utilizing these areas, you will be able to store items out of sight.
2. Instead of buying a stand-alone bookshelf, have them built and recessed into the walls for more space in your room. With walls being several inches thick, this can keep most of the space in the room the same by utilizing inside the wall areas.
3. Shelving placed above your height can create more space in a room to walk around in. Sure, you may have to get a ladder to reach items, but for decorative items, this would only be occasional anyway.
4. Use smaller furniture like a kitchen table instead of a full-size dining table. If you decided on living in a smaller home, you probably were not thinking of entertaining a large number of people inside anyway. You can accomplish the same goal with a smaller table than buying one that seats eight people that may never be full.
5. Free up floor space by using pedestal sinks and other items that do not require large storage areas underneath. This forces you to come up with better storage ideas, as under-sink cabinets can become a catch-all for products we never use. You can also hire a junk removal company for furniture removal. Don’t hold on to old things if they don’t serve you well anymore.
6. Reduce the number of flat surfaces you have if you want to reduce clutter in your small home. Flat table tops, low shelving, and other flat surfaces always fill up with the things you are not sure you want to keep. Coffee tables, end tables, and low shelving are clutter magnets.
7. Hang your T.V.s and computer monitors on the wall to give yourself more space. Most of these devices are designed in this way currently and will free up quite a bit of space. In addition, hire a company for appliance removal to get rid of old tv’s and appliances when you don’t need them anymore. You can also rent a dumpster to manage junk in your home. Not hanging on to old things is an important thing you can do to free up space.
Keeping clutter down in a home, big or small, can be challenging. With the right plan and some will power, you can keep the clutter out of yours. By utilizing storage ideas used in tiny homes, you can greatly maximize your small home space. After getting rid of the items you do not need, utilize some of these ideas to free up space.